Lay-Off

Betterman

Do you have a backup plan in case there is a lay-off at your company? I've seen lay-offs happening more and more lately. In today’s economy, being laid off is a scary thought.

Bear

I just got laid off and no there was no back-up plan. I am just trying to get my ducks in a row. We filed for food stamps and unemployment, and now we are waiting to hear back. I am looking for a job, my wife is working as much as she can for her online job, and we are jst trying to ride it out as best we can. It has been really nice to spend so much extra time with my kids though! :)

polamalu43

My back-up plan is find another job. We have money in our savings account. They say you should have a set amount (so many months worth). I have about 2 years worth (mortgage, bills - not groceries).

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Self employed, so if I get laid off, something went seriously wrong. But even being self employed I've learned to keep a good amount stashed in savings. To be honest, I would work just about anywhere if it meant putting food on table. I'm really thinking about a local grocery chain just for the benefits anyway.

Betterman

I've worked for the grocery chains before. Depending on if you go union, you make a decent living with decent insurance. I'm not sure how much the average wage has gone down since I worked, it's been about 4 years.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I've worked for the grocery chains before. Depending on if you go union, you make a decent living with decent insurance. I'm not sure how much the average wage has gone down since I worked, it's been about 4 years.
That one I would love to work for is not union, but they have just as good, if not better then a union job I've worked at. They have really good benefits and from the people I've talked with seem to treat their people well. Pay is not always the best though, average with other grocery stores. But the benefits make up a lot.