Letting your kids play football

ryan

I was watching a few minutes of a CNN medical special about football and brain injuries. For anyone who has boys who are old enough, do you let them play football? It's a sport that has some benefits, but I think they need to look at making changes so that it's safer. How do you feel about this?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My nephews play football. The school I went to in NY did not have a football team or I may have played. We did play during lunch, until my mouth landed on a football and split my gum wide open.

There is a chance in a lot of sports for injuries. While brain injuries can be more severe then breaking a leg in gymnastics, the chances are still slim. No worse then driving a car. So if my son did want to play, I would let him.

Ed35

Of course I would let my son play. I would not allow my daughter to play though. Double standard - perhaps? I had to fight this fight once with my daughter.

I say let kids be kids. Teach them how to be safe and make sure they have protective gear on at all times.

Clay

I would let my son play football, if he wanted to. The problem with injuries and football, is the fact that losing is no longer an option. No playing for fun, just the drive to be a winner. Sometimes this drive leads to injuries.

LeonR

I have a nephew right this minute who is on football scholarship at a major university. He has a brain, too, and does not have to play football. The family business could easily take him in. The football is his idea. Yes, he's had major injuries, but it's still what he wants to do.