lip biters!

bighelp

We have just realized why the kid is having lip issues lately, she keeps biting her lips. Is this a stage kids go through? I can not remember anyone in the family ever having this issue before.

Timothy

We have just realized why the kid is having lip issues lately, she keeps biting her lips. Is this a stage kids go through? I can not remember anyone in the family ever having this issue before.
This could be a stage, or it could be a sign of anxiousness. Is she having trouble in school or in a certain situation where you've noticed her biting her lip?

Gilbo

The anxiousness is what would worry me especially if the child is young. I remember my niece had a similar issue but she was a nail biter to the extreme, to the point of always having stubbed like and bleeding nails.

James

My wife bites her lips frequently in the wintertime, when they're chapped. She's not as bad about it if she keeps Chapstick with her, but she says she can remember biting her lips ever since she was in grade school.

Jacob

I do bite my lips sometimes when I'm nervous but my wife takes the cake. She sometimes can't stop at all. She always had problems with this and never tried to deal with it.

Ronald

I don't know that this is a stage that kids go through so much as it is a sign of nervousness. I'd pay close attention to when the child is biting her lips and see if it's situational. If not, you can google for some old school remedies to help solve the problem, like putting something that tastes bad on the lips to prevent turning them in to the mouth to bite them.

Kost

Are there other kids in the house who did similar? I know my nephew was all about sucking his thumb for the longest time and his sister had an issue with chewing on her hair.