Love and Marriage?

TwinPeaks

I always felt good with my wife and we have a nice history together but we never were crazy in love, so to speak. We never experienced movie romance. Do you believe that relationship and marriage can begin without this?

Greendad

Why not? When it comes to making a relationship and getting married, love is only one among many other reasons. It is not hard to find success stories of arranged marriages.

Andersson

I do not fully believe in movie romance, its not something one would do every day for the rest of their life. I can understand aiming for it but some days its just not possible.

BoyOBoy

Much of the world has the parents pick out the spouse of the child, and it has worked for centuries. Fifty percent of the marriages in the U.S. end in divorce. How many couples decide not to get married because they've become jaded about marriage? Is marriage dependent upon a magical feeling? I think not. It takes two. It takes timing. It takes circumstances and hard work on both sides.

TJoel

I have ever read a proverb, saying that love is the dawn of marriage, and marriage is the sunset of love. I know it is a bit cynical and I don't agree with that myself. I believe that marriage can be the dawn of love as well.

Lieutenant

Yes. I think that movies blow things way out of proportion. It gives couples a false sense of realism and makes being in love very hard.

Victor Leigh

I think love is just about the worse possible reason to get married. When you are in love, your view of the realities of life is distorted. You cannot think clearly. Marriage becomes a lottery whereas, in my opinion, a marriage is something that should be carefully planned, taking into serious consideration all the factors that would contribute to a lasting relationship.

joeldgreat

There are actually countries where parents are the once choosing who will be their children's husband or wife. I think up to now, this culture is being exercised on some countries. Most of the time, it blooms to a perfect marriage and couples entangled in this kind of arrangement were successful (but there's always an exception to this). This kind of arrangement was declining nowadays.

Lorenzo

Definitely, a relationship or even marriage can start without the couple having some kind of "movie romance." Real life is not like that. While I know of some people who are "madly in love" when they got married, it didn't mean that their marriage worked out in the end. On the other hand, I have friends who were "thrown" into a life together, who fell in love with each other during the course of their marriage, and are still married until this day.

Sinbian

Definitely, a relationship or even marriage can start without the couple having some kind of "movie romance." Real life is not like that. While I know of some people who are "madly in love" when they got married, it didn't mean that their marriage worked out in the end. On the other hand, I have friends who were "thrown" into a life together, who fell in love with each other during the course of their marriage, and are still married until this day.
Well put and nice perspective! Sometimes what we believe is the real deal usually isn't sync with reality. Some say, reality is what you hit into when you are wrong.

Timothy

I believe "movie romance" is basically just a combination of lust and puppy love, and I really don't think it's possible to build a successful, lasting relationship off of that. Once the new wears off, so to speak, then you really see who the other person is and whether the two of you are compatible long-term. Real-life love, in my opinion, is completely different from movie-romance-love.