Making the kids pay

Andersson

We just found out today that one of our younger nephews is not going to be able to make it for the holiday dinner as we had a falling out with his mother almost a year ago. Why do some parents make the kids pay for their own mistakes? I will never understand this.

LeonR

This happens even in the best of families. Someone falls out with a family member over some silly or even imagined slight. It gets blown out of proportion over the years, and the children really do end up suffering because of it. They have one family, one mother, one father and a set number of siblings. Nothing is worth ruining those relationships.

Lorenzo

How old is your nephew? If he's of age, he should be able to think and decide for himself, and not let whatever happened to you and his mother affect your relationship with each other. If he wants to be with your family for holiday dinner, his mom should respect that.

Bearsfan

It's not fair when the kids get stuck in the middle of adult arguments. But, I have to ask is the falling out with his mother something you could maybe let go of and smooth over, so your nephew doesn't lose out?

Sinbian

Maybe nephews won't show up because of that fall out. I'm just saying it's a possibility. When it comes to family, no matter how bad they are, it still hurts when you hear someone outside speak bad about them, even if its true.