Managing Stress

Paul1960

What do you do to keep your stress levels in check? My daughter works a highly stressful job and according to my son-in-law, it's taking quite a toll on her and their family. When he asked for my advice, I said she needed to find a way to manage her stress, but this is easier said than done. Any ideas?

CHenne

Laughter! She needs to find something that makes her laugh. I also punch things! Not people or walls - a punching bag. Maybe a kickboxing class - something healthy for her and a great way to relieve stress.

James

CHenne makes a good point - a kickboxing class would be a great way for her to relieve stress. You could also suggest yoga, as my wife swears by it. Personally, when I'm stressed out, I like to read.

Timothy

When I'm stressed out, I like to lift weights. I know it's not as popular for women as it is for men, but she could really benefit from it physically - without bulking up - and for me, there's nothing better for relieving stress than lifting until I literally can't lift anymore!

Wyss

I bet if more people could manage their stress there would be less people in the hospital with heart issues. I knew a guy once who had 2 heart attacks before he was 30 years old.

Bobby

Tell him to be as supportive as possible. My wife is a teacher and she has a big and challenging class this year. She vents to me when she comes home which seems to help her get it off her chest. Then she goes jogging and that seems to get rid of the rest of the stress.

Babar

I think making time for things you enjoy is the best way to curtail stress. Quick fixes include going for a walk or jog, taking a hot bath, cuddling with your kids/spouse/pet, and listening to music.

ryan

It's tough avoiding stress completely, but don't let it continue for sustained periods. That's when I think you run into health issues. Taking a few minutes here and there for a break can help. Just walking around to clear your head can control some of your stress. I've also heard that playing with your pet has been known to lower blood pressure.

LeonR

Exercise and working out helps me when I'm stressed, but I don't know you suggest that to someone else. Some people would find it just one more thing to add to an already overbooked schedule.

Andersson

I started meditating a few years back and its been great for me. I have setup an area in the den that works perfect and I can close the door behind me to get some quiet time in.

Bear

Doing something physical usually helps me to relieve some stress. I also go to the firing range and go through a box or two of ammunition. That always works wonders for me.

Godric

What I do is go to a quiet park and just watch people pass by. It helps clear my mind. Sometimes I listen to instrumental music or eat a lot of chocolates.

Victor Leigh

Tell her to buy a big pillow. Better yet make one. With some strong material. Then pummel the pillow until she gets everything out of her system. The Japanese, I read somewhere, have install Pillow Rooms in their offices just for this purpose.

Lorenzo

What are your daughter's passions? Another way to relieve her of stress is to do something she really loves - like cooking, stitching, or reading a book. If she has a close set of friends, she could also find time to get together with them. Having a good laugh with people you are comfortable with releases a lot of endorphins.