Music - adult and kids

chelly

I think there is a fine line that many parents now cross without noticing it. And its quite simple, music parents are listening to when their kids are around. I do not listen to a great deal of stuff that I like because I know my kids are not at the appropriate age for it. Why are so many confused about this?

Jdrake

I know what you mean. It is amazing some of the stuff that even makes it on the radio. Some of that stuff is really inappropriate for little kids.

2andalone

I make a point of keeping my own music on an iPod that only I listen to. I think there is a boundary and certain music is appropriate for different ages. I only put things on the car or house radio (when kids are home) that is appropriate for them to listen to for their age. The way I see it, if the song has something I'm going to get questions about, I have to be prepared to answer questions about it.

Strongarm

I wouldn't have that problem, because the only music I think is bad and not appropriate for kids is rap and maybe some hard core rock that happens to be an uncensored version. I don't listen to rap anyways so it's cool. I might just throw on some 80's though. That's fine with me because I grew up listening to that kind of music.

Blake

Have you heard some of the lyrics in pop songs these days? Rap isn't the only genre inappropriate for kids, in my opinion. I wouldn't want my kids listening to some of the newer Britney Spears or Kesha songs (and tons of other music). Just because the lyrics are harder to hear or understand doesn't mean the message is okay. I wouldn't want my kids walking around singing about "disco sticks" (Lady Gaga). Unfortunately they hear it at school no matter what I do at home.