New curriculum?

Dan

Our school system is trying out a new way of teaching. Each child will be taught at their own pace. I'm not sure how that's going to work, especially if I end up with my kid in junior high at the age of 10. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Don

When I was in elementary school I was in a program like that. I really excelled and got excellent grades. Unfortunately, my subdivision was divided up because of desegregation and I was sent to another school. I told my wife if I had stayed at that first school, I probably would have ended up at Harvard.

BigPapa

I had this when I was younger. I got placed in high school math and English classes when I was in 7th grade. By the time I graduated I had taken AP Calculus. I loved it because I was often bored in school so being able to take the more challenging classes was great.

Mr. Rogers

I like the idea of this, as it's similar to the homeschooling point of view. I think it would be great to be able to move along if you're learning faster than the rest of the class.

Bear

I think this is wonderful! My oldest isn't even in school yet, and she is already ahead of what her grade level expectations would be. I would actually consider public school instead of homeschool if they would try this method.

Hedonologist

I think this is wonderful! My oldest isn't even in school yet, and she is already ahead of what her grade level expectations would be. I would actually consider public school instead of homeschool if they would try this method.
Nice to see a fellow homeschooler! At my school this was similar to what we did. We all did age classes, but those ahead of behind could sometimes have a separate smaller lesson. As I say it doesn't apply to me as a homeschooler, but it sounds good!

Dan

How would they handle this logistically?
I have no idea. I can't imagine the teacher walking from student to student all day. We'll have to see.

I'd be more concerned with my kid being 20 and in junior high if this is the case.
I said the same thing! It's certainly going to be an interesting year. I see many parent teacher conferences and group bull sessions in my future.

joeldgreat

I don't know if it can be relate to accelerated schooling. I had a former classmate way back in our high school years which is three years younger than us. We are already learning the art of sexual pleasures and other adolescent stuffs while he still had his favorite Superman costume in his bag.

Lorenzo

My friend teaches in a school that offers an "individualized" program like this. She said, they give the kids hand books to work on, and those who finish answering the hand books first, are given another set of hand books, and so on. But, she also said, almost everyone catches up and the whole class usually are promoted to the next grade at the same time.

Niceness8000

I guess it works out well if you feel your child is gifted, or at least smart for his or her age. I think we all agree that our kids are exceptional beyond the average capacity at their age range, and we would expect them to excel. I think that way about my son. Wait and see how it works out. It may not turn out that bad.