Not Going Overboard for First Christmas

SteppinIn

As this will be my first Christmas as a step-father, I'm tempted to buy anything and everything for my step-daughter. I know that I shouldn't, though, for many reasons including my wallet, not spoiling her, and not outdoing her biological family. How can I be sure that I'm buying a gift or gifts that aren't too "out there" and that won't make her family feel like I'm showing off?

Jeff

Just take it easy. Buy a couple gifts of reasonable price and things that she would like. My first experience a couple years ago I bought my step son a remote control car, legos, and a blanket. The wife thought I did a nice job.

the saint

Don't go overboard with your spending. You can ask for advise from your wife. She would know what she would like.

stewy

I have to agree with the others and I know it will be difficult for you but one great gift, that her mother knows she will like, will be better than a dozen gifts bought just because you want to make a good impression.

CoolFather

Hey, so what did you end up buying her? Did she like the gift? How did things turn out?

I would be curious to find out other experiences like this, because my brother is in a similar situation, and doesn't know what to purchase for his stepdaughter for Easter...