Not the coach, but...

Bearsfan

My girls are in intramural basketball at their school. It's set up so the kids can learn some basics and get a feel for the game. But, then they play a game, no score kept. Really it's a bunch of running back and forth, with an occasional shot.

I'm finding it hard not to side-line coach and give constructive criticism while they are playing. Right now, I find myself biting my tongue for most of the game with the occassional, "good job" or "that's it" so they know I'm watching.

What do you do when watching your little kids trying to play sports? Do you tend to coach from the sidelines? Are you able to keep your critiques to yourself?

youngone

My son plays for his local soccer team. I will not give him advice at this age, he is only 6. I just let him enjoy playing and encourage him. I will save the constructive criticism for when he is older.

Justadad

It's difficult to watch your children participate in competitive sport without shouting out some form of encouragement, but I have seen fathers come to blows over a football match at a school, so it can get pretty heated!

tommymac

I'm finding it hard not to side-line coach and give constructive criticism while they are playing.
Then, you need to stay home. It's not about you. It's about your child. Just let your child have fun. Not everything has to be a competition.

Niceness8000

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to keep my thoughts to myself. Is your daughter having fun? I wonder if you might consider that part of it. If she's not taking it too seriously, neither should you.

tommymac

Or, look at it this way: You're not sitting on the sidelines in your daughter's classroom giving the teacher unsolicited advice, are you? No? Then let the coach run the team.

Lorenzo

It's hard not to get affected while you watch your children play sports (or whatever competition it might be). I think it's normal to shout encouraging words to them, once in a while, but I agree with most guys here to just leave the "coaching" to the coach himself. You could always talk to your kids (give them advice on how to better their moves) after the game.