Potty Training

greg

How did you get your sons to be potty trained? He is almost two now, and I think he is ready to start. But should I have him sit, or teach him to stand?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking about sitting for a while, and then when he gets the hang of that, I'll try to get him to stand. But I still have a while to figure it out.

Clay

My son is six now, but when we potty trained him, we had him sit on his potty chair, and direct the stream down. Then we moved to the big toilet, where he did the same thing. Once he had the hang of it, I showed him how to stand up. Good luck, and do not give up! Sometimes the whole potty training process can be tiring.

Bear

I hadn't even thought of this yet. We are still working with our three year old daughter on getting potty trained. Potty training can be extremely frustrating. I honestly don't know how my wife keeps it up all day everyday.

Victor

I agree, Bear. Our daughter was doing pretty well but then entered a contrary phase and it's been harder to get her to use the potty, yet she also gets upset when she wets herself. It is a tough battle all day long.

Bobby

My boys weren't in any hurry to use the potty. So when they finally did it was a huge relief. They sat at first because it just seemed easier to learn one thing at a time.

Timothy

We're having this same discussion in our house, about whether to teach our son to stand from the get-go, or to teach him to sit initially. I'm actually the stay-at-home parent, so I guess I could go ahead and teach him to stand, but my wife thinks it would be easier for him if he learns to potty sitting down first, since he'll have to sit down when he makes a bowel movement. This is our first child so neither of us really knows which way would be better in the long run!

Bear

My wife used to teach in daycares and she said most little boys learn sitting down first. I am not sure if this is because the Mom's are doing most of the training though. ;) On a positive note things are finally back on track with our daughter. She has even woken up dry a few nights now!

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We started putting our son on the portable potty toilet we have. It has a little cup thing that pulls up so when he does pee it goes down into the toilet. Right now we are just getting him used to sitting on it. I just thought it was neat that little thing comes up for that.

Lorenzo

My kids were also potty trained at two by letting him sit on his potty trainer. They thought it was a little chair or something :) But after some explaining, they were able to grasp the concept.

Godric

My son was also trained at two. What we did was to get one of the baby pots where he could easily sit when he needs to. So every time he has to go, he just needs to pull down his shorts and sit in his potty chair.

Victor Leigh

I always start with holding the kid over the pot. Later when he can sit by himself, I will him in the seat but still support him.