Psych Meds for Kids

Paranoid

If a psychiatrist told you that one of your children should be on psychiatric meds, would you put your child on them? I know a family who is considering this right now and I am wondering what I would do if I were in their shoes. I was a teenager dealing with depression without meds and I wonder if I would give my teenager meds to help deal.

Paul1960

If a psychiatrist told you that one of your children should be on psychiatric meds, would you put your child on them? I know a family who is considering this right now and I am wondering what I would do if I were in their shoes. I was a teenager dealing with depression without meds and I wonder if I would give my teenager meds to help deal.
First, I would get a second opinion. If my children had had issues growing up, my first choice would have been for talk therapy. I know there are kids out there with legitimate issues that require medicinal therapy, but it would be a last resort for me. I'm very wary of putting a child on medication. I wouldn't do it without trying other alternatives first and then doing A LOT of research about the medication being suggested.

Shadow

I would think at least 10 times before I put my child under some therapy. Just because some people are doctors doesn't mean that they are right and especially in this branch of medicine.

Mack

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in conditions related to the brain and brain chemistry. If a psychiatrist wanted to put my kid on medication, I would not second guess the doctor at all.

James

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in conditions related to the brain and brain chemistry. If a psychiatrist wanted to put my kid on medication, I would not second guess the doctor at all.
I have to disagree with this. Drug reps visit doctors every day and offer them kickbacks to prescribe the medications they're representing. Just because one doctor says your child needs to be on X drug doesn't necessarily make it so. It could be the truth, or it could be that doctor is getting a kickback when a prescription is filled for that drug. ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE CONCERNED!!!

Ronald

I have 2 teenagers and I remember battling with depression when I was a teenager myself, but I don't know if I would medicate my kids. I definitely wouldn't medicate them without a 2nd opinion, and I would try counseling first. If counseling didn't help, then I would consider meds.

Wyss

A second opinion is a must when it comes to teens and meds (even kids younger too). Many of these come with the warning about teens specifically and depending on the medicine it might be good or bad, you really need to weigh the pro's and con's.