Public bathrooms!

Rod

My daughter is nearly ten, so it's getting easier to let her use the ladies bathroom without hovering anxiously outside as I used to do. That got me some strange looks! I wish they had unisex rest rooms in some places, with just stalls. That would make life easier for people like me.

Blake

I hear you on that. The malls around here (and a few other places) have family restrooms. That means they are unisex and you can take children or people with disabilities in.

Regis

It's even weirder for me. The kids aren't really calling me Dad all the time and they love to call me by my first name when we're in the bathroom. I think they enjoy having other people give me strange looks.

Greendad

It's even weirder for me. The kids aren't really calling me Dad all the time and they love to call me by my first name when we're in the bathroom. I think they enjoy having other people give me strange looks.
:D I know how it feels. Sometimes kids are smarter than we thinks they are, huh? Anyway, I love the idea of family restrooms in malls and other public places.

Terry

Family restrooms - what a wonderful idea. As the father of girls I also have this issue, and tend to use department store toilets where possible, as I feel better about letting them go in alone. What age do you think they should be when we stop letting them come into the men's bathroom?

Ed35

There are a lot of family restrooms in my area. I still don't think going into the bathroom (or family restroom) with a 10 year old opposite sex of you child would be ok. At 10, they are old enough to go in without you.

polamalu43

I hate waiting for my daughter too, usually I hang back a bit so I don't look like I'm ready to grab anyone who comes out. I've seen some "family" bathrooms here too but I think it's just 1 large bathroom.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen some family restrooms, but they are not a lot it seems like around here. I know the strange looks part. I wonder how long it will be until someone calls the cops on me.

WagnerB

I know the strange looks part. I wonder how long it will be until someone calls the cops on me.
LOL I hope they wouldn't go that far. I think it is part of having a daughter. It is the beautiful part indeed. We are luckier than other dads who have only sons and don't have to deal with these strange looks.

Miller

Bathroom danger comes in two varieties: the man-mind kind and the nature kind. Keeping kids free of those nasty bathroom germs is a daily war against the pesky critters. It's hard to watch them all the time, especially when they are little. Still, I don't take my eyes off them when it comes to keeping them safe from dangerous people.