Respect

OrionH

Have your kids ever gone through a phase where it seemed like they did not respect you or your wife? If so, how did you deal with this situation.

NoobDad

My first child will be born any day now. While I am very new to this I remember being a kid and I know there were times when I had issues respecting my father, but I always respected my mother.

MikeWay

Kids are born blank slates. I think strong discipline is needed to teach children the proper understanding of respect. Have you been very consistent in your discipline lately?

stayathomepaul

I think you have to give kids respect and lead by example. I do think discipline is important, but I don't think you can beat kids in to respecting you.

Greendad

My kids haven't been there yet, but I remember ever going through the phase myself in my childhood, and I feel guilty for that. Then again, I guess my parents and grandparents have also gone through the same phase.

Sportsfanatic

I didn't always agree with my parents, but I definately respected them. I think you have to have really good discipline for your children, but at the same time make sure they know how much you love them and also let them have fun too. Being too strict can cause rebellion.