Responsibilities for children

Paul1960

Growing up, my children had responsibilities. Initially, they just had to keep their toys picked up. Then as they got older, we taught them to make their own bed and eventually, to wash their own clothes and dishes. They weren't paid for these chores because we felt that was unrealistic (Does anyone pay YOU to wash YOUR clothes?) but we rewarded them in other ways.

Do your children have responsibilities, and if so, what are they?

crowl

I was never paid for things that we had to do either, it was for the extra's and it was for the ones where we showed initiative. It was not for doing something that a capable child can do, its for the times we went above & beyond.

James

Growing up, my children had responsibilities. Initially, they just had to keep their toys picked up. Then as they got older, we taught them to make their own bed and eventually, to wash their own clothes and dishes. They weren't paid for these chores because we felt that was unrealistic (Does anyone pay YOU to wash YOUR clothes?) but we rewarded them in other ways.

Our children are responsible for themselves, much like yours were. They have to make their own bed, keep their own half of their room clean, and wash/dry/fold their own clothes. They also have a list of "optional" chores, and if they choose to do something off of this list, they get paid for that chore.

Gilbo

When I see kids that have parents giving them no responsibility it makes me wonder where they are actually going to learn it? My parents had chores, I had them too. What gives, why are parents thinking its okay to have lazy kids, what kind of adults are they going to turn into like that?

Timothy

They also have a list of "optional" chores, and if they choose to do something off of this list, they get paid for that chore.
I like the idea of "optional" chores that the kids get paid for whenever they choose to do them. We have a two year old so right now we're only working on teaching him to pick up after himself, but as he gets a little older and wants money to spend, we might create an optional list for him, too.

BoyOBoy

My kids wanted pets. They got them, along with pet chores. They grew up cleaning up after themselves, sweeping the carport and eventually mowing the lawns. They're better people because of it.

Ronald

My kids wanted pets. They got them, along with pet chores.
Haha, I remember wanting a dog when I was a kid, and my parents giving me the whole "A dog is a big responsibility" lecture. I got the dog, though, and like you said, all the dog chores that came along with it. But I wouldn't have traded that dog for anything in the world.

My kids have chores, too. In addition to keeping their rooms clean, we have rotating chores. In the summer, it's cutting the grass, and in the fall, it's raking the leaves. One week our son cuts the grass, then the next week our daughter cuts it, etc., etc. This goes on all summer until the grass dies back and no longer needs cutting, then they switch to raking the leaves until all the leaves have fallen.

Miller

Chores and stuff

My kids all have chores. We keep one of those lists on the wall. We use stickers when they are little and eventually they learn to read the words for their chores. Each one has a laundry basket they put their clothes in. Mom or Dad does the laundry. They help fold what they can. We start them with hand towels and wash cloths.

Michael

My kids all have chores. We keep one of those lists on the wall. We use stickers when they are little and eventually they learn to read the words for their chores. Each one has a laundry basket they put their clothes in. Mom or Dad does the laundry. They help fold what they can. We start them with hand towels and wash cloths.
We tried the sticker thing and the laundry basket trick. I don't know if it's because we have only one child or what, but nothing has worked. My daughter's clothes lie on the floor where she pulls them off. It's our fault, and we know it.