Responsible enough for a pet

Paranoid

How do you know if your kids are responsible enough to have a pet? In addition, what kind of pet do you think is best to start with?

I go back and forth on the 2nd question. Hamsters and fish are so fragile. They can die easily and in my experience, they require a lot more work than a cat. A dog can be difficult too though. What do you think?

Daniel

A pet is a lot of responsibility and it is a responsibility that a child cannot handle on his own so no matter what mom and dad will be sharing in the care of the pet. Personally I'd go for a cat.

Kenneth

Cats are great, but also dogs are great editions to a family. I don't think parents should ever get a pet without the intention of it being the whole family's pet and everyone can help out taking care of it. Everyone should be able to let the dog out and feed it. The dog will protect and love everyone in the family, so why determine who's it is?

Albert

I think children shouldn't have pets before going to school. Kindergarten is not a real responsibility for them, but the first year of school usually teaches them what it means to be organized and responsible for tasks and homework. Once they start getting used to taking care of themselves at school, they can have a chance of taking care of a pet at home. I'm leaning towards a dog, because cats are independent and not really child-friendly.