Sending your kids to bed early as a consequence

Andy

I have never sent my kids to bed early as a consequence. If I felt they were tired then I would have them in bed early but not because they were acting out. Honestly, they would have just laid in there and not gone to sleep anyway. They were so on a schedule, the minute 8pm came around, they were ready to pass out.

MatthewR

Sure, they have been sent to bed early many times. They have even lost TV time and everything and had to go to bed. I've never sent them to bed without dinner though! I think they need to eat something.

SilverVeil

To be honest, I send them to bed early because I've become so frustrated I've lost the ability to be objective. I try not to punish because I'm angry. It should be about what they've done. When I send them to bed, they know they've crossed the line and that I need for them to take a time out.

BigJohn

Yes, but it's usually the final straw. And, like another poster said, it's also to keep my own frustration in check as well as show them that there are only so many chances.

Kenny

My daughter is very young only 17 months but yes I have taken her and put her in her bed early before as a result of both mine and her frustration. More often than not she will doze off or play for a little while and get back up in a better mood and better behaved.

Glenn

I think it just depends on the kid and only the parents of said child would know whether or not sending them to bed early would be effective. Like Kenny, I have put my one year old in her crib a little early in the evenings because she's been acting up, but at this age when she acts up it's usually because she's tired anyway.