Sidestepping questions

Terry

When I was a kid it used to drive me crazy when my parents gave me the old 'it just is' or 'they just do' answers to my questions. Now I find myself saying the same things! Payback perhaps?

Len

I try not to do that. If a child asks a question, it's an opportunity to teach them something or to let them get creative. Sometimes I will turn the question back on them and ask "Why do you think so?" I want my kids to come to me with questions.

Mel

So now that you are saying the same things that your parents did, how are you feeling about that? Are you OK with it or is it something you want to change?

Regis

It's so much easier to do that at times. I know I don't always have the time to explain things because that leads to explaining more things and so on and so on....

Keepworking

I am with Regis on this. Not that I think it's the right thing to do, but sometimes I just don't have time and energy to explain things they ask. Well, nobody's perfect. :)

Blake

I think it's fine to not have the answer at the moment but I think it would be better to say something like "Let's write that down and look it up later" or "Let's talk about it in the car" or something like that. I think sidestepping questions sort of puts up a barrier.

Terry

I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm a slack father, not by any means. Sometimes the things kids ask are just way beyond their understanding - so I find it easier to sidestep than to tell a white lie. I appreciate the comments though, and there are probably times when I can ask them for their ideas or make a promise to get back to them after research.