Smoking

Regis

I'm talking about cigarettes so let's get that straight from the beginning. Do any of you feel guilty about smoking in front of smaller children? My soon-to-be wife and I are having a disagreement on this. I'm afraid if it looks like I'm trying to hide it it will make it more fun to do to the older kids. Quitting is not an option until after the wedding.

MelvinB

I feel very strongly about not smoking around babies and children of any age. Medical studies have shown that second-hand smoke from a smoker does affect non-smokers in the area. I think I've read somewhere that children of smokers have a high chance of developing asthma later in life. :(

Luke

I do smoke occasionally, but not in front of my kids. My two year old mimics everything she sees so that is not something I want her to see!

badge67

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing people smoking in a car with little ones buckled in the back seat. If you want to smoke, it makes no difference to me what you do, but your children can't get away from it buckled in their car seats. Smoke when they aren't around.

Greendad

I don't smoke myself, but if I did, I would try not to smoke when kids are around. It's not about hiding your (bad) habit. It's about not giving a bad example to the kids.

wilson

When I did smoke I never smoked around any kids, my own or not. It just seems wrong and when I did see other people doing this I was "the jerk" smoker who yelled at them for it.

stayathomepaul

I used to smoke, and I did feel very guilty about it. I did not smoke in the house, only outside. They did see me smoke outside but I would not let them get near my while I was smoking.

Mohidad

I feel very strongly about not smoking around babies and children of any age. Medical studies have shown that second-hand smoke from a smoker does affect non-smokers in the area.
I agree with this. It is not about hiding that you smoke; it is about keeping the kids healthy. It is not fair to make them second hand smokers.

Albert

Second hand smoking can be twice as dangerous as real smoking. I used to smoke (before having children), but always outside or on the balcony, because my wife is a non-smoker. I decided to quit after our first child was born. It was difficult, but I can honestly say it has it was a good decision.