Southwest Bumps Thin Woman from Flight to Make Room for Plus-Sized Teen: Was It Fair?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
(CBS) A petite Sacramento woman was bumped from a Southwest Airlines flight to make room for an extra-large 14-year-old child who required two seats.

The 5-foot-4, 110-pound woman, who was flying standby from Las Vegas to Sacramento, was buckled up and ready to go when the teen arrived late to the gate, reported the Sacramento Bee. She, along with other passengers who spoke to a Fox News affiliate in Boston, were surprised when flight attendants said she would have to deplane to make room for the teen.

When the woman - who did not give her name to the paper for fear of being perceived as insensitive - expressed irritation, airline employees began to "berate" her for complaining, she told the newspaper.

more Southwest Bumps Thin Woman from Flight to Make Room for Plus-Sized Teen: Was It Fair? - Health Blog - CBS News

Lefty

Well, I hate to say it but she was on standby. If she wasn't it probably wouldn't have been an issue. So whoever is on standby has the less than pleasant task of leaving if the seat is needed. You know the kid has to fly with his/her family so I can see it. It isn't fair, but then the world isn't fair.

Kenny

Agreed Lefty if she wanted a guaranteed seat she shouldn't have been flying on standby. I really can't believe a news agency picked up the story since she was flying standby. The same thing would have happened if the kid weighed 100 lbs and was running late the other woman still would have had to give up her seat.