SPF for toddlers?

Timothy

I'm thinking about taking my son fishing with me since he seems to be taking an interest in all my fishing gear and he loves to look at the various pics I have of me holding fish I've caught. It's really hot and humid here right now though, and we tend to spend a lot of time in direct sunlight when we're fishing. How high of an SPF of sunblock would he need to keep from getting sunburned?

Sinbian

Get the strongest factor for him definitely. You want a maximum protection, just ask in the store what they have. I usually search for child sunblock in the store when I want maximum SPF.

Victor

I usually buy SPF 50. I have read that anything over that number doesn't really provide extra protection anyway. Make sure to reapply it often.

Sinbian

Yes I heard that in Europe manufacturers are forbidden to list anything above 50 because of what you said. Often reapplying is the key with sunscreen.

olderthandirt

Definitely SPF 50, but be careful. There is no such thing as a sunblock that will completely prevent sunburn. All it does is extend the time it takes to get burned - and on a child, that time is very short if it's direct sun and summertime.

Sinbian

First of all, child should always wear a hat and a shirt, even if it's crazy hot. That is the first line of defense in this battle.

Victor

That's true, Sinbian. Clothes are better sunblock than the screens we buy. I'm working on getting my kids to wear hats but it is slow going.