Stress and how I feel

Jdrake

I am so stressed out right now. I really feel like my wife is not being sensitive to it because she is also stressed. Yet I am being sensitive to her stress. I feel like this should be a two way street. My attempt to address this turned in to a fight. How can I find a solution for this?

Sportsfanatic

I'm not really sure. I guess just keep trying to talk to her and be as nice as you can. A spouse should be able to handle when the other one is feeling upset and be eager to help them feel better. Everyone has stress. That doesn't mean the relationship has to suffer over it. Work through it together.

Jdrake

I think you are so right. I guess I just can't seem to figure out the words that will lead to a meaningful discussion. Everything I say seems to get her in to defensive mode.

Len

It's likely that your stress and her stress just aren't compatible. Do you have a place you can escape to when you need to de-stress? Maybe it's just a room in the house, or your car? If problems keep coming up you could see a counselor so you can talk about issues with a mediator in the room.

Peyton

How about taking this approach: tell her you realize both of you are stressed and you would like to help her through her stress and you need her to help you through yours. Ask her what you can specifically do to help her. Likewise, tell her exactly what you need from her. Presenting it just like that is about as straightforward as it gets.