Taking children to the theater

Whoowap

Have you ever taken your children to see a play? I think this would be a great family activity. At what age do you think it is appropriate to try to introduce a child to the wonderful world of the theater? I want to take my 7-year-old son to the theater, but I can't seem to find any children's plays in my area...

Regis

I think taking them to High School plays is appropriate. The audience is forgiving for younger children that get restless. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money to take my family to a play if I wasn't sure if they could sit still or be interested long enough to watch the whole thing.

Len

I agree that a high school play might be a good place to start. I've taken the kids to children's plays around the area. One was Winnie the Pooh and the other was Jack in the Bean Stalk.

orangesweater

I think the best age is when they can sit still for an hour or two without getting restless. My older son was good to go at four but my younger one is almost six and he can't keep still!

As for play with kids, in our area we have theater for youth group that performs popular fairy tales or folk tales with a modern take for kids in our community. I am sure they must have something like that in your area. Otherwise, as Regis said, high school plays maybe a good place to start.