Teach your children to swim

footballtim

My father taught all of us to swim as soon as we turned six years old.

As soon as we were able to swim the width of the pool, we got a prize.

My prize was a new transistor radio, which I think lasted at least eight years.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My daughter can swim, but she freaks out right now without her floaties. She is 4.

My son is 18 months and has floaties and can move around the pool like a fish. Does not want you holding him anymore. Although I always stay close.

Granted my daughter got a little later start though, but my son just loves the pool.

Don

My daughter hated the water when she was little, but loves it now. My son, on the other hand, has loved it from the first moment he first got in the water. He has taken swimming lessons for two years now and has no fear of the water at all.

Armpit

It's really fun to do sports with your family. I find myself relaxed when i taught my son to swim in a shallow pool when he was eight. Now, he can swim by himself without my help anymore. Maybe it's nothing... but i just feel proud whenever looking at him swims. Do you got that feeling too?

tommymac

My daughter refused to learn how to swim when she was 5. I actually let her get away with it. It was a very bad idea. She panicked in the water last Summer, so I had to put my foot down and make sure she learned this year. Private lessons helped at first until she was more comfortable and then she joined group lessons.

Miller

When kids grow up around the pool with all the kids they look up to swimming, they learn to swim pretty quickly. I hired one of the high school swim team girls to work with my kids when they were three and four years old a few afternoons after school to learn to make bubbles and cup their hands. They have done great at swimming ever since.

polamalu43

How did he teach you to swim? My dad just threw me in the pool and I had to swim. We started our kids young too but with swim lessons at the high school. I think it's important for kids to learn to swim early on.

BigPapa

My daughter was in swimming lessons starting at 6 months old. We had heard so many horror stories about toddlers falling in pools and not being able to swim or get out of the pool. She swims like a fish. I think 6 is a little late to start but at least you learned.

joeldgreat

We do have plenty of pools nearby and one can access into it anytime of the day. Its like every month we go on swimming twice or trice. And because of this, my kids learned to swim on their own. Though now I'm teaching them the proper technique of swimming (the basic one only).

tommymac

It's tougher to do group lessons these days because of the hectic schedules our kids have these days. Getting private lessons for my daughter was brilliant because the instructor adapted to her schedule.

Lorenzo

My son almost drowned in the pool when he was two. That got him really scared of water. Thankfully, when he was five, he overcame his fear and we enrolled him in a swimming class. He's ten now and is a mighty amazing swimmer.

Niceness8000

My son is about 1 1/2 right now and he loves the water. He will learn own his own whether we teach him or not - I can already see that. I learned on my own just from going to the pool everyday. He's on the same track right now.