Teaching About Tragedy

Chrisitan

My kids have been devastated about the recent tragedies in Boston and in Texas. I try to shield my kids as best I can from the worst of the stuff that happens, but they are going to see some of it in spite of my best efforts. My wife and I try our best to sit down with them and let them talk things through and ask questions. We do a lot of teaching about things from a Biblical perspective because of our faith but I would do the same even if we didn't go to church. Do you teach your kids about tragedy and how do you do it at your house?

olderthandirt

I've just always been open with my girls and answered any questions they might have. I've not gone out of my way to show them the harshest parts of life, but I don't avoid it, either. Sometimes I think parents shelter their children too much and it doesn't prepare them for the real world.

BigPapa

Olderthandirt, we kind of operate the same way. We don't go out of our way to show our daughter the bad stuff but if it happens we sit down as a family and talk about it. I think we have a duty to our kids to prepare them for the world.