Teaching kids how to cook

Lorenzo

At what age do you think kids should be taught how to cook their own food (or food for people in the household)? My children are two, seven, nine (a boy and a girl) and 14. We don't have any household help and I wish I or my wife don't have to do all the cooking sometimes. Is it advisable to entrust kids to the kitchen, especially the older ones?

Victor

I think you could have them all help (except maybe the 2 year old). You'd probably have to start out with them just assisting you as you teach them, but even assistance is great. Cooking is so much easier when you have someone to chop the vegetables for you, for instance.

I look forward to cooking dinner as a family.

Babar

The 14-year-old might be able to cook something on his/her own, but as for the younger ones, it's better if they just stick with assisting. You can even give the 2-year-old a simple job like stirring something cold in a bowl.

CHenne

Being parents, it's your job to cook for your family and kids. I don't see anything wrong with your 14 year old helping in the kitchen. I think even the 9 year old can help.

Godric

I think it is a great opportunity for you to bond with your family when you cook food with them. I think the 14 years old can definitely cook food alone but the others you can simply ask to help you out.

Victor Leigh

Good idea there. My mother taught me how to cook, telling me that men who can cook would not have to eat instant noodles if their wives went on strike, for whatever reason. I passed it on to my own sons.

Lorenzo

Good idea there. My mother taught me how to cook, telling me that men who can cook would not have to eat instant noodles if their wives went on strike, for whatever reason. I passed it on to my own sons.
That's nice. Now I know that I'm not the only one who knows how to cook well :D I grew up watching and assisting my mom in the kitchen while my other siblings went about the other household chores. You're right, Victor Leigh, boys/men should also be taught the art of cooking - it can help them survive from anything, most importantly a break-up of a marriage. :)

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My daughter is 4 and has helped her mom in the kitchen. Today she helped me with making some pickles.

JRDeep

I thin they should be able to cook by the time they reach their teens. Letting them get some hands on experience by helping at a young age is the way to go. Keep it fun, and they'll want to do more as they get older.

Andersson

What type of food are you talking about? It could be anything from making a sandwich to making a full dinner course. I think age plays into a good bit of it, but with the small stuff we started out pretty young because our little ones were antsy.

Victor Leigh

That's nice. Now I know that I'm not the only one who knows how to cook well :D I grew up watching and assisting my mom in the kitchen while my other siblings went about the other household chores. You're right, Victor Leigh, boys/men should also be taught the art of cooking - it can help them survive from anything, most importantly a break-up of a marriage. :)
You don't have to wait for a break-up in your marriage to make use of your cooking skills.

Back when I still had a wife, it's my duty to make the cakes every festive season. Reason being my ex was more used to making bread, so the cakes she made were, to put it mildly, good enough to throw at a cow and knock it out cold. I learned baking when I followed my mother to be her note-taker at her cooking lessons.