Thanksgiving in the budget

OrionH

Today I sat down with my wife to talk about Thanksgiving and our budget. Usually we budget about 100 towards food, and what is left over (if any) is gas money. This year we decided to do something a little different. Instead of adding an extra 100 to the budget we came up with a way to plan meals and use up what we have to save 100 that we can then put towards Thanksgiving. How do you budget for Thanksgiving?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
It is easy, we head to family's houses. ;) We used to do both the wifes and my parents, but my side invited a really good friend so we are spending the day there, and Easter at the wife's. Now we do bring food. This year I'm going to deep fry a turkey, and the wife is making stuffing I think. But we will just work it into our food bill.

benben

We are like Jason. The deal is that I provide the uncooked turkey, my sisters provide other ingredients and them my mother cooks it all. This way the burden ins shared equally.

Clive

We stay home for Thanksgiving, so the cost is all on us. We don't really budget for it. It's just one of those extra expenses that pops up occasionally. Since we don't have anyone else contributing to it, it usually runs us about $200, but that also feeds us for the whole week and beyond.

bighelp

You can always work around holidays to plan better, that ends up being the key. Me for example instead of a specific holiday I am looking at the next eight months worth of food shopping. In order to cut down what we want and not what we need, we are working into the budget the needs. This is in order to save up for a deposit on a new home. ;)

Bear

Well, we have been planning to do a Thanksgiving dinner at home since our daughter was born (nearly three years ago). I thought we were going to make it this year, but my wife's family has had a recent tragedy, and Thanksgiving will be the first holiday everyone is together so we will be spending the holiday there. We have to bring a ham (yeah, I know it's Turkey day), but we will be on the lookout for a sale...unless I get a wild boar before then. ;)

Milt

We just factor it in to our grocery budget. Usually there is a lot of food leftover that we feast on for quite awhile. We freeze some too. It seems to all come out even in the end.