Time management

polamalu43

I need to work on my time management and organizational skills! Any tips for me? I need to work on this at work and at home. I seem to have a huge to do list and it isn't getting any smaller!

FrankSinatra

I need to work on my time management and organizational skills! Any tips for me? I need to work on this at work and at home. I seem to have a huge to do list and it isn't getting any smaller!
Instead of a "To Do" list have a "Have To Do" list and a "Need To Do" list. The HTD will be the things you must get done and then the NTD will be things that you should do at some point. Eventually NTD items will migrate to HTD items but they can get done earlier if you are able to get to it. You won't stress as much because you will have a more manageable list that realistically will get done and then other items that may be needed soon, but not this moment.

meowcow

My advice would be to break it down to smaller increments, as small as you can. For example, if you break down your tasks per day, and you can still break them down to per hour, then do so by all means. Focusing on smaller tasks will help you get stuff done little by little and by the end of the day/week it would have all added up. If you elaborate on what kind of tasks you would like to be done then maybe I or some of the other members can give you further advice. Hope this helps and good luck!

Foster

I wish I could help with this but my time management at home is shocking, I never get as much done as I plan to do. I get distracted way too easily.

footballtim

I have severe adult ADD. Many people around me cannot figure out why I have such a problem with time management. All I can say is that you will never know the answer if you do not have my problem. As the old saying goes, "You cannot get blood out of a turnip."

Don

I struggle with time management too. I have found that writing down four or five things that have to be done, then skipping a space and writing down whatever should be done helps me keep it straight in my head what my plan is for the day.

ghanashyam

I was never able to do the things in order, the time would skip and something would be always unfinished. I have learn to adjust the things next day. Usually, it takes longer time than expected to do certain work like banks, doctor and going to market.

Don

I didn't follow my own time management plan this week and now I am really behind on a project that has to be turned in by tomorrow. I think I am going to be up until midnight tonight and possibly tomorrow night too. Bad week.

BigPapa

I would have to suggest using some sort of a daily planner. That way you can break down things in blocks of time. I generally try to break the bigger things into smaller tasks. For example, if the kitchen needs to be cleaned don't say clean the kitchen. Write a list of smaller tasks like do dishes, clean out the fridge and sweep the floor. Each time you cross a small task off the list you will feel like you have accomplished something.

Victor

I agree with writing down a task list and prioritizing the items. In fact, I need to do this again myself so I remember to do all the things I need to do that have been piling up.

Mel

Things take as long as they take to get done and to be accomplished well. I focus more on goals and outcomes rather than on how many things I can get checked off my list. I find that I short cut things otherwise.