Tomatoes everywhere!

Bear

We planted a few extra tomato plants this year because we lost quite a few plants last summer. We certainly didn't have any problems with them this year, and we are pulling off 20-30 tomatoes a week! I guess I am going to have to start making sauce with them and freezing it because we are just overrun. What is your favorite thing to do with tomatoes?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
That is great. We canned, and made sauces along with salsa. Sadly the heat here got to them, but around September, I'll plant again.

Don

One year I planted six plants. We had a huge crop of tomatoes and we couldn't give them away fast enough. My mother actually took the ones we gave her and froze them. She would thaw them out periodically through the winter and she said they still tasted like they had just come off the vine.

BigPapa

I have a ton coming in this year myself and I don't know what I am going to do with them all. I did come across directions on how to make sun dried tomatoes and I may try to do this with them.

Michael

We slice them, marinate them in vinegar, salt, pepper and chopped basil. Then we put them on a baking sheet and broil them for about ten minutes, pull them out, put a handful of grated parmesan cheese atop and put them under the broiler again. They are out of this world.

Bear

I have chopped and frozen some, made some sauce, and sundried some now and they are still rolling on in. Michael, I am going to have to try that because it sounds awesome!

polamalu43

Eat them! I love tuna fish and tomato sandwiches! We have only pulled off 5 so far - off from 8 plants. I can't wait for them to come full blown. I love tomatoes! My wife make sauce too.

Kyp

That's great for you! I wish that we would have such good luck with our tomato plants. The past few years, we had such bad luck that we just gave up completely on growing our own. It was barely worth it for us.