Too old is how old?

Andersson

A younger dad friend of mine, actually much younger by almost 20 years has asked me the age to not go back to school. To me there is never a year that is too old, is that just me being old and stubborn?

CHenne

I don't think anyone is ever to old to learn! If he wants to go back to college then he should go. I went back when I was in my 30s and I loved it. I think a lot of times we put more into college when we are older students.

Victor Leigh

I went back to school when I was past 40. And I was in the same class with my eldest son. We both enrolled in night school to learn the language of the country we have moved to.

No problem at all. Except with my son. He didn't want to be seen with me. But that's only at the beginning. Later we became the best of friends in class. Quite a hilarious situation actually considering that I was older than even my teachers.

Don

I don't think you are ever too old to go back to school. I will say that as an older student, however, you do have to sort of retrain yourself how to study. It's easy to get overwhelmed if you don't have a good study plan in place.

Andersson

That is kind of what I was thinking too but this young one is kind of stubborn and silly in his ways. I would go back now if there was anything I wanted to spend a great deal of time with, right now though I am enjoying spending time with my wife and grand-babies.

OldPopNLk

I don't really think there is an exact cut off age for learning. There are always various stories in the news like, "90 Year Old Finally Gets A Degree", so I wouldn't worry. I can understand how one might feel overwhelmed at having to start over and learn something new. It can also be annoying to not have a paying job at a certain age.

Babar

It depends what you are going back for. If it's just for fun or to learn/grow, then there's never an age that's too old. If you're pushing the typical retirement age and expecting to revamp your career, then you probably are better off saving your money (and time).

JRDeep

Never too old to take some sort of structured education course. You don't need to go to a collage campus to get quality education. If you're uncomfortable with being in that environment, you can do it via the internet.Just make sure you use a legit site, and don't try to cheap out

Victor Leigh

Actually going back to school is a great way to keep young. I have met too many old people who had never learned anything new in the last ten years or more. Their mental stagnation was very apparent in the way they thought and in the way they solved problems. We need to have agile minds to cope with and get on top of the ever changing environment.

So, let's go back to school again and be young. Young at heart, at least.

June11th

A younger dad friend of mine, actually much younger by almost 20 years has asked me the age to not go back to school. To me there is never a year that is too old, is that just me being old and stubborn?
I'm in my early 20's and I'm just looking for the right opportunity to go back to school and get into the field that I actually want to be in. It could happen in a year, it could finally come about when I'm 60. I could be at school both ages.

You're never too old. I mean, sometimes it just has to happen.
So no, you're not being old and stubborn.

Kina

I went back in my late 20s. I have to agree, there is never a time when it is too late. There are issues of age and knowledge intake though. It is believed that the brain stops growing around 11 to 12 and stops developing in your mid 20s.

Victor Leigh

I went back in my late 20s. I have to agree, there is never a time when it is too late. There are issues of age and knowledge intake though. It is believed that the brain stops growing around 11 to 12 and stops developing in your mid 20s.
You must be talking about the actual physical development of the brain. From my personal experience, I did not notice any slowdown in my learning process. I am almost 60 now and I can say with full confidence that I can hold my own against any younger person as far as learning new things is concerned. In fact, I believe I have the advantage because I know more about the techniques of learning since I have probably already learned more than they did.

Jonathan

I agree with the others, there is no such thing as "too old to study". Studying is a lifetime process. Just keep in mind that "it's hard for an old dog to learn new tricks".

Lorenzo

While it's normal for some people to find the idea of an "older" person going back to school somewhat ludicrous, to me, it's just right. I know someone who quit High School to raise a family. After all his kids have moved out and graduated from College, he went back to school and graduated at the age of 58.

Jack

I think that as long as a person is motivated to learn something if they are serious about learning it, then the best way to do it is to go to school. I don't think there is any age limit.

Betterman

As far as I'm concerned, there is no age limit on school. If you have an interest in a field and want to learn more about it, go!

joeldgreat

If given a chance and not raising a family today, I would loved to go back to school to learn something new. I think there no over-age when it comes to school. Teenagers today would wanted to skip school and go to work hoping that they will earn their own money. But for me, I would prefer to be at school rather than spending it at work. In my line of work, I am lucky enough that my company sends me to school to learn something. But it only for a short period of time (mostly two to three weeks) and would not have the luxury of being a real student.

Miller

There's a thriving retiree and elderly population in and around the Raleigh-Durham area. People from all over move here to be close to the medical and educational facilities. One of the most popular programs is Duke's OLLI program, where senior citizens go back to school because they love learning.

HappyDad

You're never too old to go back to school. If you have the time, dedication and desire, you should return to school regardless of your age.

makingloot

I went back to school when I was past 40. And I was in the same class with my eldest son. We both enrolled in night school to learn the language of the country we have moved to. No problem at all. Except with my son. He didn't want to be seen with me. But that's only at the beginning. Later we became the best of friends in class. Quite a hilarious situation actually considering that I was older than even my teachers. In the end, You're never too old. I mean, sometimes it just has to happen. So no, you're not being old and stubborn.