Traditional about boys and girls

Jack

Get this---my daughter is hounding me to take her fishing, but I know nothing about it. My father in law is a fisherman, but I'm not sure what he would think about helping me on this. He's kind of traditional about what boys and girls do.

Daddy_Dearest

Wow, my dad would love if our girl was interested in fishing. I never really liked it, but he would love to have something they both can bond over. Maybe your dad would surprise you.

stewy

I go fishing all the time and, although my wife isn't really interested, she has made the effort to come with me. I am gradually getting my young daughters interested and hope to take the whole family in the near future.

TopPop

My fiance grew up as an only child on a farm so she was quite the tomboy throughout childhood. She and I love to fish and she supports me taking our daughter when she's old enough. I would go ahead and have a talk with your father-in-law about it. He may be old fashioned, but he also may get a kick out of teaching his granddaughter to fish. And it would be good bonding time for them.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
You could always ask. But I see nothing wrong if a female wants to fish.

Mel

She might just help him change his mind a little bit about what girls should and shouldn't be doing. Hopefully he won't change her mind about it!

rubbermallet

If she has never been fishing she might just want to try it. She might find out that she doesn't like it. It will depend on if she catches anything, will she be ok baiting her own hook. And what kid wants to stand around and do nothing but stare at the water hoping to get a bite. I don't think you should do it to make her hate it but who knows she might, but this would also be an opportunity for you and your daughter to bond and learn how to do it together and who knows it might turn into your thing with each other.

McGregor

I think there is nothing wrong with a girl fishing. Talk to your father in law about this. You would never know what he thinks about it if you didn't ask, right?

GranddadHoward

I agree with the others. You should ask your father-in-law. He might surprise you and be happy to take his granddaughter fishing. The worst thing that could happen is that he would say no. I would like to know what he says.

DaddyO

Regardless of tradition, I bet grandpa would like spending time with his granddaughter. My grandfather used to take me and my sister fishing. It was great times! Have fun!

bighelp

It never hurts to ask and honestly it seems like a great idea. I hate the idea of boys only and girls only, what exactly does that teach our children anyway? To me it seems like the more than kind of thing cropped up, the more we are still stuck in the past.