Unisex names?

MickL

Do you get into naming your baby with a unisex name? A unisex name sounds nice but the problem is that people can confuse the gender of the person having the name.

Luis84

No we did not want an unisex name. We agreed on a family name. I agree with you that is confusing to have a unisex name. Some people prefer it though, just not us.

Mel

I personally don't think it matters all that much. A name should be chosen that you are comfortable with and that you really like.

PeterPater

Do you mean names such as Ashley, which are spelled the same for boys and girls? Or those like Leslie/Lesley? I have no problem with either type but wouldn't name a baby something unisex which is traditionally associated with one gender. I'm thinking of John Wayne's real name here.

chelly

I never really thought about it much myself, we just picked the names we felt suited the child. I thought most did it this way but just recently learned that my niece ended up waiting over a day to name her first born (they had no idea what name they wanted for their son).

stewy

Whatever suits really. Some names are so obscure that you can't tell the sex in any case, I mean, Apple or Zowie! How do you tell whether these are girl or boy?