What Do You Think About the Leashes?

Lefty

My mother in law got us what I call a leash, for our 4 year old. It has a vest which looks like a backpack and has a monkey on it. My son loves it but my wife is reluctant to use it. We have gone to a theme park this year and I found it invaluable to keep up with him. I sure didn't want him to squirm out of my hand when we were both sweaty and go running down the street. She sort of got annoyed at me for using it but I would rather be safe than sorry. What do you think about these things?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We have used them with our daughter before. I think it is great. She does not always want to hold hands in the store, and we cannot always carry her. She loves it as she feels she has freedom I think, and I love it because she cannot just run off.

BigJohn

I used to think it wasn't right, but one time when my son was just over 3 years, he got away from me and ran. It was crowded and busy and traffic wasn't far... Needless to say, my heart stopped. I can understand why parents use them.

Lefty

Yeah, well it certainly made a difference when we were at the theme park. There were crowds and crowds of people and he didn't get away from us. I would rather have been perceived as a jerk than to lose my child in that crush of people.

JDdad

We got one as a baby shower gift. Actually it was just as you described with a brown monkey on it. I do not know if we will use it. My wife is completely against it, but reading this I may change her view on it. We do have a couple years yet.

stayathomepaul

I have the exact same thing for my 3 year old only it's a dog not a monkey. I was school cloths shopping with the older two and the little one got away. Luckily the staff caught her before she wandered in to the main part of the mall. Think about department stores and how quickly they can sneak out of site. I decided I loved the leash after that.

Last edited: