What to do?

CHenne

A couple of nights ago one of my daughter’s old friends came to my house. It was dark and negative degree weather out there. She is 14 and she walked, they live about a mile from me. My daughter was not home, she was at another girl’s house. The friend has been crying and was all snow! Her parents were fighting so much over the weekend, she did not feel safe there.

I was heartbroken! My wife was too. How can parents be like this? Aren’t our kids supposed to always feel safe at home? What would you have done?

polamalu43

What did you do? I don't know what I would have done, I mean I would have helped the girl out in anyway I could. You are right, kids should always feel safe at home, always! No matter what is happening in their lives they should always be able to get away from it all at home.

Jerry F

That's horrible. I don't know what I would do. I've never been in that type of situation before. It has to be difficult. What did your daughter say?

greatdad

That would be a tough situation to be in. You'd want to help the girl, but what can you really do other than listen to her and comfort her? Did you take her home or call her parents to let them know she was at your house?

William

I hate these situations where kids don't know where to go when parents are fighting. I'm glad that you are there for her and you opened your doors for her. I guess that is the best thing you can do for her, letting her in and feel some comfort.

Jessie

I would have invited her in and got her something warm to drink or eat. Then listened to her and called her parents to let them know she was safe. The wife would have let her stay the night I am sure.