What you do not tell them?

Andersson

No parent I know has ever had full disclosure until their children were well over the age of 18, sometimes even as high as 25. What would you never tell your kids? If you were in jail? If you were a bad student in school?

Lorenzo

I could think of a lot of things that I would never tell my kids. One of these would be that I almost got married to someone else before I met their mother. I was literally left at the altar by my ex-fiancee. I don't think I would want to inform the kids about this, because they have this notion that their mom is my true and only love.

joeldgreat

I was thinking hard of some of my teenager secrets which cannot be shared to my kids nor to anyone. First to my wife: I think I already shared them all just before we get married. Some of them to the smallest detail. To my kids (for the boys only): I'll simply wait for their 18th birthday in order for me to disclose some of the intimate secrets I've done in my teenage life.

FrankSinatra

I know my parents kind of broke me in and gave me more and more information as time went on so I would probably end up doing the same thing. I didn't find out my dad shot his lover's husband until I was like 20.

Niceness8000

I don't know if there is anything that I would never tell them. I do think that some information is age-appropriate, but I don't know if there is something I would try to always hide.

ProForums777

I tell my kid almost anything, he is not old enough to be told everything. I think when the time comes when he reaches 18, I will definitely tell him everything there is to know about me. It doesn't matter what you tell your kids, they see you as the grown up. As long as they understand is OK.

Bear

We are pretty honest with our kids about everything, but they are still very young. My wife and I live an "alternative" lifestyle. I know at some point as they go to school and develop friendships that they will realize that we are "different". If there are things that we haven't told them before then I would think by 16 they would be old enough to know.

roncar

I've been pretty upfront about my past to my daughters, but more when they got around the age of 15 and 18. They knew I smoked pot when I was younger, but I only told them this knowing in my heart that they would never do this and think it's dumb when kids at school do. I think you just have to play it by ear.

Hank

I have to agree, there are a lot of things I don't tell my kids. They don't need to know about the family's fiscal state at this point, they also don't need to know what is going on with our marriage until it affects them. We try our best not to fight in front of them or discuss things between my wife and I .

edvisual

I tell them all the things I've done when I was their age and after that I try to explain to them what was good and what was bad from what I've done overall.

chea

I'm going to be completely open with my son about my life and what I have been through. I want to make sure he knows the mistakes I have made so that he doesn't have to go through them himself later in life. But one thing I will try to hide from my son is any arguments I may have with my spouse. I don't think kids, at a young age, need to be exposed to any negative situations that we as a married couple may face.