Would you tell the kids?

Cruise

Would you let the kids know if you were in difficult financial situation? What is the best way of letting them understand without making them worry about that?

Sinbian

My parents told me when I was a kid and I'll tell you I hated it! Of course I had to find out why I couldn't have all the toys I wanted but the reason didn't help me at all.

McGregor

Well, as a child I didn't really care about that either, which is bad. But I think to tell the kids your financial trouble wouldn't help much (for you and for the kids).

youngdad

My dad was laid off from his job for a few months when I was a kid. We ate a lot of beans, rice and potatoes. They managed to get us what we needed, though.

I think what you tell your kids depends on their ages and what the situation is. Young kids don't need to be told anything. Older kids who want expensive things like iPads might need to be told that money is just too tight and a reason it is.

Kyle31

No way. My mom was a single mom and talked to me about financial difficulties a lot. I would never do that to my kids. It was a lot of unnecessary stress to me, at a very young age.

Cruise

Well, I agree with you. There is no point to telling the younger kids your financial situation, unless they asked for something unreasonable (which usually is not the case).