Family business

WagnerB

Any of you are currently working for your father or another family member? I am not really a fan of family business. I am glad my father has no company, so I wouldn't need to work for him.

Gilbo

My better half tried to get into her family's jewelry business but too many personality conflicts ended up cutting that short. I am sure it could be hard working with family but at the same time, things are tough all over now and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Ifamily

I have never had this kind of experience. Though, I have heard (sad) stories about children who have to continue their father's business against their will. I know how it feels to work in the place you don't want to be in.

ryan

Judging from what I've seen, I wonder if I'm lucky that it wasn't an option. I know someone who felt like he had to keep the family business going even though it wasn't suited to him. Even when the interest is there, it can be a problematic situation depending on the family relationships. It works for some and doesn't work for others.

Michael

I'm very close to my family, but we've never worked together. Maybe the fact that we have never been in business together is part of the reason we are so close.

LeonR

My wife is in business with her family. They have managed to make it a go, but sometimes it's a bit rough as new people come into the family and children want to come into the business after college. Luckily, the company is big enough, but how many generations will that last?

Bear

I worked with my father for awhile, and my grandfather as a teen. I definitely wouldn't reccomend it, but I did learn a lot. Sadly, they have both passed on now so it is no longer an option.

Andersson

A friend of mine works with her family in their jewelry store and a booth they setup on the weekends, everything is handmade. She said sometimes its fun and other times its just like growing up again (its run by her and her parents, but growing up it was just the parents).

Last edited:

Babar

No, I don't work in a family business, nor have I ever had the opportunity to do so. I think they're great if everyone involved can get along; however, if there is any drama or pressure, they can spell disaster.

ryan

Everything needs to be spelled out so that each person knows what to expect. Even though it's family, it's also still a business. I think that's where some people have difficulties. One person might let things slide and expect someone else to pick up the slack just because they're family. That's where hard feelings can arise.

Bobby

My mom is a teacher while my dad has a construction business and while I was welcome to join him, both he and my mother emphasized the fact that they'd rather I got an education and did something I loved. So I took their advice because I really didn't have any interest in that field.

meowcow

I am not totally against a family run business. While it is difficult to work with family at times, it shouldn't really be any more difficult than working for someone else. It just depends on who your boss is, if you will like him or not. Business is business and it rarely matters how you are related to your boss, if he is a good boss, you will both thrive as individuals and ultimately as a company.

Jonathan

None of my family runs a business. I think we were born to work for other people. Anyway, I am not really a fan of family run businesses. Even if my father were running his own company, I think I would still find my own job.

Last edited:

Godric

I wouldn't want to have to work for my father either. Isn't it difficult to work under your family's image? Its already hard to prove oneself alone let alone being compared to your family member.

Jack

My dad and uncle worked for my grandfather and grandmother for years and it worked out quite well for everybody concerned. It was good to be exposed to that growing up.

Victor Leigh

No, not me. Mainly because I make money online and the rest of my family are still very much involved in brick and mortar type of business.

Ownageprankers

My better half tried to get into her family's jewelry business but too many personality conflicts ended up cutting that short. I am sure it could be hard working with family but at the same time, things are tough all over now and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Everything needs to be spelled out so that each person knows what to expect. Even though it's family, it's also still a business. I think that's where some people have difficulties. One person might let things slide and expect someone else to pick up the slack just because they're family. That's where hard feelings can arise

Victor Leigh

I would have loved to continue the family business. It's a beauty saloon. I went as far as to pay for my own course in hairdressing. Twice, in fact. Alas, the business went to my brother and sister. So here I am pecking away at the old keyboard trying to make a cent here and there to buy a coke and a burger.

Jonathan

The other drawback of working for your father or other family members is that most people would think you were hired because of your family relation instead of your capabilities.

AceOfHype

Along with my current job, I'm also managing the online shop of a family business.

One of my family members is into wood handcrafted jewellery, so I help him run his online shop for that.