What is the most valuable gift you can give your children?

sreekumar

It is a great delight to all fathers to offer gifts to their children to make them happy. Depending on their age we give them gifts which may come to their use. Any body regards gifts as a matter of joy and if it comes from their parents enjoyment is greater. But more than any worldly possessions and materialistic objects there surely exist a thing which appeals to all irrespective of their age. That is your love towards their mother. As the head of the family it is your duty to maintain a harmonious and peaceful life at home and love surely is a thing which will never get diminished out of giving. So give it in plenty to your children and their mother, they will ever remember your gift all throughout their life.

Victor Leigh

The best gift I got from my own parents was knowledge. So that's the same thing I am passing on to my own children. Knowledge is more precious than many other things. The more you use it, the more you have. Quite the opposite of money.

Lieutenant

Well as others have said but I would also add love and compassion. It is important that they know you love them no matter what.

JRDeep

The most important gift you could ever give would have to be encouragement. Letting them know that you support them in any and all endeavors that they choose to take on. No matter how many times they come up short,you, tell them to regroup, assess the situation, and try again instead of just up and quitting.

Victor Leigh

There's one other gift that I give my children. The freedom of choice. I am a strong believer in letting my children find their own path in life. Of course, I am always there to give a hand if they need help.

Sinbian

Love is the greatest gifts you can give, and I believe the only one that counts as a gift, because if you expect something in return then it is not love, at least in my book it isn't.

Donald

Unconditional love, of course, goes without saying. I think, too, that one of the most important gifts you can give a child is acceptance and affirmation of who and what he is. No matter whether he puts on a pound too much, or smokes that first cigarette, or wrecks your car or worse, his knowledge that you love, accept and affirm who and what he is is paramount.

Victor Leigh

Unconditional love, of course, goes without saying. I think, too, that one of the most important gifts you can give a child is acceptance and affirmation of who and what he is. No matter whether he puts on a pound too much, or smokes that first cigarette, or wrecks your car or worse, his knowledge that you love, accept and affirm who and what he is is paramount.
I agree with that. Unconditional love. Love without strings. Love without telling the kids how much you have sacrificed for them.

Godric

I agree with everyone else. For me, the most important contribution I can give my son is education. Take away the materials and we have nothing left but ourselves and what we can do.

Babar

Being there for them and spending quality time with them is definitely the greatest gift a parent can give. It doesn't have to be Disneyland every weekend, but you should make a point to do fun stuff with them often.

Kina

I agree education, and also not to be sucker. When growing up there will be a lot of people that will try to take advantage of you. I want my children to know that they need to stand their ground and not be a victim of some one else's shenanigans that can haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Victor Leigh

I agree education, and also not to be sucker. When growing up there will be a lot of people that will try to take advantage of you. I want my children to know that they need to stand their ground and not be a victim of some one else's shenanigans that can haunt them for the rest of their lives.
That's reminds me of how my own parents brought me up. They taught me never to get into fights. And I ended up being bullied all the time. For my own children, I taught to stand and fight. Not to pick a fight but not to run away from a fight.

Kina

That's reminds me of how my own parents brought me up. They taught me never to get into fights. And I ended up being bullied all the time. For my own children, I taught to stand and fight. Not to pick a fight but not to run away from a fight.
True, but also to not read to much into what people say. If it is too good to be true than it probably is. Those types of lessons. Treat every one like a used car salesmen. Most people want something from you these days, I want them to be able to spot that sort of thing.

Victor Leigh

True, but also to not read to much into what people say. If it is too good to be true than it probably is. Those types of lessons. Treat every one like a used car salesmen. Most people want something from you these days, I want them to be able to spot that sort of thing.
Agreed. Innocent until proven guilty sounds like a good idea in the law books but in real life, it pays to be more prudent. I teach my children not to trust anyone until they have been proven to be trustworthy. A lot safer this way.

Bear

I certainly think that unconditional love, knowledge, and your time are some of the most valuable gifts that we can give our children. I also want to teach my children to be self reliant. My wife and I are constantly trying to learn new skills that we can pass on to our children.

Jack

The first thing that came to mind was "education". I think that is the absolute best investment that we can make on their behalf and for the future of the world.

Lorenzo

Being there for them and spending quality time with them is definitely the greatest gift a parent can give. It doesn't have to be Disneyland every weekend, but you should make a point to do fun stuff with them often.
I absolutely agree. Love, compassion, education, knowledge and many others are great "gifts" that we can give to our kids. For me, though, these are expected and should be provided, if you're a good parent. The best "gift" I can give my own children (aside from the ones I've mentioned) is also TIME. Parents are busier than they've ever been today, so for a child, the (quality) time their parents spend with them is more precious than anything.

chea

Attention. It's so important to give your kids as much attention as possible. Especially at a young age. My dad worked a lot when I was a kid. I actually had to teach myself to ride a bike... I really think just giving your kids time is the most valuable gift you can give.

Miller

Attention is key. If children don't get a healthy dose of attention in a good way, they'll find some way to get it in other ways. Giving a child your attention builds confidence and a sense of self worth. Time is important, but it needs to be attentive time.