Wife as breadwinner

MelvinB

For guys who stay at home and look after the nest while the wives work, do you face disrespect from family members and friends in any way? Do you feel inadequate because you are not the breadwinner for the family?

AlexT

I know some guys have their "male ego" thing and just can't accept wives who earn more than them. I don't have a problem with that. As long as there's enough income for the family, it doesn't really matter who goes out to work.

Phillie

I am not in this boat but I would never pick on or disrespect any stay at home dad or any dad who makes less money than his wife. Hey it does not matter to me who makes the money, as long as someone does.

bighelp

I met one guy years ago who has a wife that was almost like second in command to the Dean of a large college out in CA. I am sure she made more than him, now she is somewhat on a break after a move to another state so now he makes more again.

john1007

I probably would not have a problem with it if my wife does not mind it either. I think in my particular situation, I could actually have more time to work on my own online business/hobby and earn money more leisurely. I really don't care what people outside of my family thinks.

Ifamily

I am not in the same boat either, but I would never disrespect those who are. Staying at home taking care of the kids is not easier and not less work than working outside as a breadwinner.

bighelp

I know another gal who works on fighter jets for a living and designs them in VA Beach, she loves her job and her husband loves it too. He actually wants to be a SAHD and she is completely fine with that.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
This may sound mean, but I would love it if the wife brought home more then me. Being self employeed you never know what exactly you will be making. Having her bring home more, and steady, would relieve a lot of stress.

Ralphie

I can say it would be no big deal, and it wouldn't be a BIG deal, but it is something I would have to cope with for awhile just because of the cultural expectation that's there.

Lorenzo

For guys who stay at home and look after the nest while the wives work, do you face disrespect from family members and friends in any way? Do you feel inadequate because you are not the breadwinner for the family?
My wife and I share responsibilities and right now, she's the bread winner in the while I stay at home with the kids. I never felt disrespected from friends nor family members because from day one, they knew that my wife and I are a team and we only want what's best for the family.

LeonR

This has been our situation. I finished college and have an accounting degree. I made my living as an accountant for several years. Then my wife's family business started to take off and they were raking in the dough. Now, it's a gigantic business and she's 1/4 of all that. It was a no-brainer. I stayed home. I loved every minute of it, but I have no idea what others thought. As long as I'm good with it, it should be okay. I do all the home finances, shopping and dealing with the kids, who are almost adults now.

Timothy

I'm a stay at home dad myself, but I can't say my family has been completely understanding. At the end of the day though, it really doesn't matter, because I have my wife's support and she has mine.

Bobby

When we had our kids, we split the stay at home and going out to work thing.I am self-employed so didn't want to give up my business. My wife was a teacher and didn't want to lose her position. It worked out well for both of us. But if one of us had had to quit, it would have been me and I would have been fine with it.

meowcow

My brother is the same way, but no one in our family treats him any differently. Although we do acknowledge that it is a little different. It probably also has something to do with his and our personalities. He has always stayed proud of how he supports his family, and he and his wife has always stayed strong as a unit. We have always had nothing but support for each other and have always thought that as long as a family is doing fine then there is really not much else to prove. I suppose it's a sign of the times as well, nowadays it's not so surprising to see exchanges in roles.

Donald

We like money coming into the house no matter who earns it. We've always been a team, so it never has mattered much. Our incomes were never that far from each other, but my wife does make a lot more than I do with her hobbies now that we're retired.

Bear

I agree with Donald... I don't care who is bringing the money home as long as we are getting some in the bank! My wife stays home which is a job in and of itself, but she also works from home as well. I don't know how she keeps it all straight!

clipt

I don't see anything wrong with the husband staying home while the wife works. I mean these old stereotypes are just that, OLD. I'm all for the mixing up of gender roles.

Victor Leigh

I know a few work-at-home fathers whose wives work outside the home. So far, I have not heard of any problems. Maybe it's because the work-at-home fathers are making more money online than their wives.

siddh

My wife and I both make money for our family and we have never had such issues. But, my wife has a colleague who is the only earning member and she commands greater respect from her husband. In some cases i do think that men, who stay at home,face challenging situations and disrespect from family members.

huullk

I am not in this boat but I would never pick on or disrespect any stay at home dad or any dad who makes less money than his wife. Hey it does not matter to me who makes the money, as long as someone does.