Would you move for twice the money?

Salazar

I found out last week that if we move to a different state I could make twice as much money as I'm making now. It's a state that my wife and I don't really care to move to, but doubling my income is quite an offer. I could stay with the same company and keep the same job title and responsibilities. What would you do?

BigPapa

I would think at that point you have to decide what is best for your family. Weigh all the options. Is it a safe area? Are the schools good? Is the raise consistent with the change in cost of living? If the cost of living was comparable and the area was good, I would probably have to say yes.

Victor

BigPapa brings up some important factors to consider. I think you also have to look at your potential happiness. If you look at everything and it all looks good on paper but you think you wouldn't be happy, then it may not be worth the move.

Don

I would move in a heartbeat, but I don't think my wife would be as keen on the idea. I'm hoping that maybe when the kids are finished with school and they are out on their own that we can seriously consider moving then.

Andersson

What do you not like about the state? How are you doing financially where you are now? If you move, is the job guaranteed and if so, for how long? Many hard choices come down to simple questions like this. I say make a pro and con list, it works like a charm every time!

Sinbian

I found out last week that if we move to a different state I could make twice as much money as I'm making now. It's a state that my wife and I don't really care to move to, but doubling my income is quite an offer. I could stay with the same company and keep the same job title and responsibilities. What would you do?
Go for it, maybe it can be an awesome adventure. You never know how it might turn out. Sometimes we base our opinions on stuff that is not really objective. You might even like it there.

Timothy

Well, doubling your income is quite an offer, but how do living expenses compare? Think about how much you make now and how much you have to spend now. If you move and your income doubles, do your living expenses also double? If so, I'd say it's not worth it. Also, how will your wife's income/work situation be affected? How will children be affected?

Sinbian

I recently got a offer for twice the money in a town far from mine. But calculating how money would be needed for an apartment it doesn't pay off to take the job.

Salazar

The cost of living is comparable, so my disposable income actually would increase. Nothing would affect my wife as she works from home and our daughter is homeschooled at this point, so no change there either.

We just made a major move last year and actually ended up closer to family and friends than we had been. Taking this offer would put us back in a situation where we're alone. We were planning on eventually moving away from here again, anyway, but we were thinking that would be a final, permanent move and it would be to a place of our choosing.

I'm still very much up in the air about this, but it's no longer just the money I'm thinking about. Things started heating up at work and I may have to seriously consider this transfer as a means to get out of the fire and back into the frying pan.

On The Mark

I would make the move. Besides the money, the best part is that you will be with the same company. I wouldn't worry about the location too much.